Effective 09/04/2018, the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles implemented the Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP). All students must present a TIP to the enrolled driver education provider prior to the administration of the knowledge test, operation of a motor vehicle during on-road driving skills instruction or an on-road driving skills test. Students must have the TIP in their possession when operating a motor vehicle during the behind the wheel portion of instruction and during the administration of a road skills test.
Upon successful completion of driver’s education, the TIP will be surrendered to OMV along with proof of completion of the driver’s education course and any other necessary documents required for licensure.
Identification to Obtain A Temporary Instructional Permit
- One primary document such as a certified birth certificate, Louisiana ID card, current passport, or current military ID
- Verification of your Social Security Number is required. Acceptable verification includes your Social Security Card, W2 form, or a print out from the Social Security Administration verifying the number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, a letter from the Social Security Administration must be present. The number may also be given verbally.
- You must also present one additional form of identification such as a photo work ID, high school diploma, insurance card, etc.
- Proof of Address
- A certified birth certificate
- Verification of your Social Security Number is required
- Certificate of required attendance from the school attending or enrolled. If the applicant is homeschooled other forms will be required.
- Non-immigrant alien - These applicants require additional information. See the "Non-Immigrant Alients" handout for additional information.
- Proof of Address
NOTE: PHOTOCOPIES OF DOCUMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
$32.25 - the basic license fee
$0 - $6.00 service fee may be accessed at certain field offices
There is no additional cost to convert from the TIP to a Learner's Permit
**All male applicants between the ages of 15 and 26 who are U.S. citizens will automatically be registered with the U.S. Selective Service System upon issuance of any credential by the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles