A. Depending on the class of license you are applying for, the test required will vary.
- General Knowledge Test is taken by all applicants.
- Air Brakes Test is required if you intend to drive vehicles so equipped.
- Combination Vehicles Test is required if you want to drive a Class “A” combination vehicle.
- Tanker Test is required if you want to haul liquids in bulk.
- Doubles/Triples Test is required if you pull double or triple trailers.
- Hazardous Materials Test is required if you want to haul hazardous materials or waste in amounts required to be placarded.
- Passenger Transport Test is required if you want to drive a vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver. This endorsement requires a skills test in a bus. It is prohibited to skills test in a van to obtain a passenger endorsement.
If you pass the required knowledge test, you can take the CDL skills tests. There are three parts to the skills test: pre-trip inspection, basic controls, and a road skills test.
For information concerning retest policy, see Section I, Policy 10.00 Written Examinations
or consult the CDL study guide.