How do I start the application process?
- Obtain a CDL Manual online.
- Get your CDL physical. The form MCSA5876 must be totally completed (all blanks) and properly signed (by the medical examiner and the driver).
- Visit a full service CDL issuing office with the following items:
- Your current, valid driver’s license.
- Your social security card or letter from SSA specifying your SSN
- Your completed, long form physical with medical examiners certificate
- Proof of insurance on your personal vehicles
- Proof of Residency
- $15 for the application fee. Acceptable payments include credit/debit card, money orders, company/personal/cashier's check.
- NOTE: All testing, as well as license issuance, must be done at the same location. We do not transfer/fax scores from one office to another. Start at one office – finish at that same office.
- Upon completion of written test, a CDL Instructional Permit will be issued. The Permit allows you to practice with a CDL driver who has the same or higher class of license. The CDL Permit is required to take the skills test.
- Schedule/Visit a certified CDL Third Party Tester for the skills test.
- Upon successful completion of the skills test, you will return to the OMV office (with the sealed envelope) to have the CDL issued.