- Obtain a CDL Manual online.
- Get your CDL physical. The form MCSA5876 must be totally completed (all blanks) and properly signed (by the medical examiner and the driver).
- Visit a full service CDL issuing office with the following items:
- Your current, valid driver’s license.
- Your social security card or letter from SSA specifying your SSN
- Your completed, long form physical with medical examiners certificate
- Proof of insurance on your personal vehicles
- Proof of Residency
- $15 for the application fee. Acceptable payments include credit/debit card, money orders, company/personal/cashier's check.
- NOTE: All testing, as well as license issuance, must be done at the same location. We do not transfer/fax scores from one office to another. Start at one office – finish at that same office.
- Upon completion of written test, a CDL Instructional Permit will be issued. The Permit allows you to practice with a CDL driver who has the same or higher class of license. The CDL Permit is required to take the skills test.
- Schedule/Visit a certified CDL Third Party Tester for the skills test.
- Upon successful completion of the skills test, you will return to the OMV office (with the sealed envelope) to have the CDL issued.
How long does the application process take?
A. You have 180 days from the day you pay your $15 application fee to have all of your written tests completed, your skills test completed and the license issued. An additional 180 days can be issued without having to re-take the written tests only. Failure to do so will result in a forfeiture of the application fee and your tests will be considered expired.