Sign In

How do I change the name on my driver license?

​​​A. The Office of Motor Vehicles has on-line verification with the Social Security Administration. All name changes must be recorded with the Social Security Administration prior to your visit to the Office of Motor Vehicles. 

In order to have your name changed on your license, you must go to the Office of Motor Vehicles with original documentation that supports the name change (i.e., certified birth certificate, state certified marriage license, divorce decree, probate court documents, etc.), your current license,proof of residency and proof of insurance for any vehicle you own. You will be required to pass a vision test. 

Minors, 17 years of age or younger, must be accompanied by custodial parent or legal guardian with picture I.D. In the case of joint custody, only the domiciliary parent may sign. Minors must also submit a completed Certificate of Required Attendance form obtained from the applicant's school office. Students that are home schooled must present either the Home Study Approval Notification letter or the Registered Non public School Registration Confirmation Letter.

Fee: $13.00 (A local fee may apply not to exceed $4) for a 4 year license and $17.00 for a six year license (A local fee may apply not to exceed $6). The name change is considered as a duplicate license and the expiration date of the license does not change.

Acceptable methods of payment are as follows: 

Credit cards, debit cards, money orders. A transaction fee will be assessed for payments made with a credit/debit card as indicated below:
Credit/Debit - $1.25 plus 1% of transaction total

NOTE: If the applicant possesses multiple Louisiana credentials such as an ID card or mobility impaired hang tag, the name must be changed on those documents as well. The name on all credentials must be changed at the same time.