Sign In

Can I renew my driver's license/ID card if I am "temporarily" out of state/country?

A. You may be eligible for a renewal of your license/ID card if you meet the following criteria:
  1. You are a full time student attending classes out of state/country (copy of current student ID required)
  2. You are military or military dependent (copy of current military ID and copy of enlistment papers or letter from commanding officer required)
  3. Your privileges are not cancelled/suspended or revoked.
  4. Your privileges have not been expired more than 12 months.
  5. We have a photo on our database.
  6. Your last renewal was not a mail-in/web renewal (where a sticker was issued) or a reconstructed license.
  7. You would, otherwise, meet the criteria to renew via mail/web.
  8. You must submit a completed and signed application and attach appropriate documents and fees. Fees must be submitted in the form of a cashier's check or money order made payable to the Office of Motor Vehicles. This office does not accept checks for driver's license issuance.

NOTE: If you are military and you have not visited our office for renewal within the last 5 years, with a copy of your enlistment papers/deployment orders, we may be able to mark your record "VALID MILITARY" which will keep your license valid until 60 days after discharge.

NOTE: A $15.00 late fee will apply if the license is more than 10 days expired.

Driver's License Renewal (Class D or E) Fees 
Class E - $32.25 
Class D - $54.75 
Class D - (Orleans Parish) - $66.00 
Motorcycle Endorsement renewal - add $12.00

Identification Card (ID) Renewal Fee 
Class I (ID Card) - $18.00

This office does not accept personal checks, however, certified check, cashiers check or money order made payable to the Office of Motor Vehicles.

Mailing address:
Office of Motor Vehicles
Attention: Reconstructed License
P O Box 64886
Baton Rouge, La. 70896

Phone inquiries
Local Baton Rouge - 225.925.4195

NOTE: Once the application and fee has been submitted, allow approximately 7-10 days for the license to be processed and mailed.