Sign In

Can I apply for a duplicate of my drivers license/identification card if I am "temporarily" out of state/country?

​​A. You may be eligible for a duplicate reconstructed license/ID card if you meet the following criteria:
  1. You are “temporarily” residing out-of-state and unable to return to Louisiana to apply in person.
  2. You must submit proof of your permanent residential address in Louisiana (not a P.O. Box).
  3. You submit a completed and signed application and attach appropriate documents and fees. Fees must be submitted in the form of a cashier's check or money order made payable to the Office of Motor Vehicles. This office does not accept personal checks for driver's license issuance.
  4. If you are a CDL holder (Class A/B/C), you will be required to submit a copy of your current, valid medical card.
  5. NOTE: If you are within 90 days of renewal, you are not eligible for a duplicate.

Fees for duplicate licenses
  • Class D & E - $17.00 (6 year license), $13.00 (4 year license)
  • Class A, B, & C (CDL) - $5.00 + Copy of the current medical card
  • Class I (ID Card) - $13.00
  • Class I (60 years & Older) – Free

This office does not accept personal checks; however, certified check, cashiers check or money order made payable to the Office of Motor Vehicles.

Mailing address
Office of Motor Vehicles
Attention: Reconstructed License
P.O. Box 64886 
Baton Rouge, La, 70896 

Phone inquiries
​(225) 925-6146

NOTE: Once the application and fee are submitted, allow approximately 7 - 10 days for the reconstructed license to be processed and mailed.