Sign In

What must I do before cancelling the liability insurance on my vehicle?

‚ÄčA. Louisiana law requires all motor vehicles registered in this state to maintain liability insurance.

To avoid receiving a cancellation notice, you must either surrender the vehicle license plate or submit a non-use statement before your insurance is cancelled or terminated.  

If you receive a cancellation notice, and the vehicle is inoperable, then you can surrender the license plate within 10 days of the date of notice to avoid a fee.  To cancel your plate you can surrender it to any Motor Vehicle Office or you can utilize the Cancel Plate link on our home page. You can also mail the license plate to the address below. The license plate must be destroyed once it is cancelled. 

To submit a vehicle statement of non-use on our website and mail it to the address below or bring it to any Office of Motor Vehicles to have it updated. The non-use statement must be submitted to OMV AND have a begin date prior to date insurance is cancelled. 

Mailing address:
Office of Motor Vehicles
P. O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896