Sign In

Do I need an apportioned plate?

​A. Registration under the International Registration Plan is not mandatory. It is a program for licensing commercial trucks and buses traveling in Louisiana and at least one other jurisdiction, if the commercial vehicle is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and: 
  1. is a power unit having two axles and a gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds ; or
  2. is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight; or is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

If a truck meets one of the standards listed above and leaves the State of Louisiana in a commercial capacity it should either have a trip permit or an apportioned plate.

If your vehicle has only two axles and weighs less than 26,000 pounds, but you travel out of the state, then you might require an apportioned plate. A good rule of thumb in this situation is: “If you make more than one stop in a state while conducting business, then you should have a trip permit or be apportioned."