What is different when applying to be issued a REAL ID compliant driver’s license or identification card?
- The first time a REAL ID compliant driver's license or identification card is issued the applicant is required to come into an Office of Motor Vehicle location to make an application – whether it be first time issuance, renewal or reinstatement. An applicant will NOT be able to renew his or her Louisiana driver's license or identification card online or by mail and obtain his or her first REAL ID compliant driver's license.
- An applicant must provide an original or certified copy of his birth certificate or other proof of identity (see options on expresslane.org), and proof of United States citizenship or lawful status in the United states
- An applicant must provide his or her Social Security Card or other proof of full Social Security Number.
- An applicant must provide two different proofs of his or her residential address.
- Additional documentation to verify lawful status in the United States may be required if the applicant is a non-citizen.
- Additional documentation may be required if the applicant has a legal name change (marriage, adoption, etc.) and does not have a current Louisiana driver's license or identification card in that name.