A. In order to obtain a clear Louisiana title for a vehicle with a lien, it will be necessary to submit the following items (This can be done via postal mail
or your local Office of Motor Vehicles
- Vehicle Application form (DPSMV1799) properly completed to show no lien and signed by vehicle owner.
- The original Louisiana title issued for the vehicle showing the release of lien.
- A copy of the current Louisiana registration certificate, if available.
- If the lien is not released on the title, it will be necessary to submit a satisfaction of lien executed by the lienholder. The lien satisfaction must be submitted on company letterhead and must include name, address, and telephone number of the lienholder.
- A check or money order in the amount of $76.50 for title and handling fee. Fees may vary at the local office. Please indicate driver's license number of responsible party on all personal and company checks. Companies/Corporations may also indicate the federal employee identification number (EIN).
Acceptable methods of payment
for vehicle registration transactions are as follows:
Face to Face Transactions:
Credit cards, debit cards, cash, money orders, electronic funds transfer and E-checks. A transaction fee will be assessed for payments made with a credit/debit card and E-checks as indicated below:
Credit/Debit - $1.25 plus 1% of transaction total
E-checks - $1.00
MAIL IN FILES:
Personal or Business Checks (A drivers license number, telephone number, and street address must be included or your check will be returned)
Electronic Funds Transfer
All documents and fees must be submitted simultaneously to the local Office of Motor Vehicles
or mailed to Headquarters.
Refer to Section IV, Policy 61.00
for additional information.