Sign In

How do I title and register a used vehicle?

‚ÄčA. A Vehicle Application form (DPSMV1799must be completed and signed by the applicant. The current certificate of title must be submitted with the assignment completed and notarized. If a lien was recorded it must be properly released. Vehicles less than ten years old must have the federal odometer disclosure completed on the title, otherwise, a separate statement must be submitted. Original or copy of financing statement or security agreement must be included (if applicable). Notarized bill of sale or invoice with full description of vehicle must be submitted if the title assignment does not reflect date of sale, selling price and buyer/seller signatures. All files with a date of sale on or after August 1, 2012, must include a copy of the vehicle owner's current and valid photo identification. The photo identification provided should be a driver's license or identification card issued by this state, another state, or by the United States military. Proof of liability insurance coverage is required, unless the vehicle was purchased from a dealer. Fees include $68.50 title fee, $8.00 (Fees may vary) handling fee, $15.00 lien recordation fee for UCC-1 financing statements or $10.00 lien recordation fee for other security agreement documents. License fee is based on type/weight/selling price of vehicle and sales use tax based on domicile of vehicle and selling price. All documents and fees must be submitted simultaneously to the local Office of Motor Vehicles or mailed to Headquarters.

Acceptable methods of payment for vehicle registration transactions are as follows: 

Face to Face Transactions:
Credit cards, debit cards, cash, money orders, electronic funds transfer and E-checks. A transaction fee will be assessed for payments made with a credit/debit card and E-checks as indicated below:
Credit/Debit - $1.25 plus 1% of transaction total
E-checks - $1.00

Personal or Business Checks (A drivers license number, telephone number, and street address must be included or your check will be returned)
Cashiers Checks 
Money Orders
Electronic Funds Transfer 

All documents and fees must be submitted simultaneously to the local Office of Motor Vehicles or mailed to Headquarters. Refer to Section IV, Policies 2.0047.0061.00 and 69.00 for additional information.