Sign In

How do I register a vehicle purchased out-of-state?

‚ÄčA. Same requirements as transferring a "used" vehicle PLUS the following additional documents.

If neither the bill of sale nor assignment of title is notarized, a notarized affidavit is required from the registered owner attesting to the fact that they are not a resident of Louisiana. If documentation submitted was notarized in Louisiana, it can then be assumed that the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title has become a resident of Louisiana and must pay use tax. A "double transfer" will then be processed with tax collected on both transactions. All documents and fees must be submitted simultaneously to the local Office of Motor Vehicles or mailed to Headquarters.