Save Time - Book an Appointment Online

CDL Transfer

Requirements to Transfer a Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

  • One primary document
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of residency
  • Photo license from the last state of issuance, or an official driving record from the last licensing state listing the applicant's personal information and driver's license number. (This may be faxed directly to the OMV office by the previous licensing authority.)
  • Additional identification is NOT required:
    • If the applicant has a Louisiana identification card or previous Louisiana driver's license with a photo that clearly identifies the applicant and the social security number is "SSN Verified" on the master record.
    • If a previous Louisiana driver's license or identification card is on retrieve which clearly identifies the applicant and the social security number is "SSN Verified" on the master record.

All documents must have the same name. If the names are different, other than by marriage, the application will be denied until the supporting documents have been changed to reflect the name change. If the out-of-state license already shows the married name of the applicant, a marriage license/certificate is not required.

All documents submitted must be original or certified copy.

If you want a REAL ID driver’s license, there are additional requirements. See the Real ID page on the website for more information

The out-of-state license must be surrendered and destroyed when the Louisiana License is issued.

Out-of-State Transfers

Persons transferring valid commercial licenses (Class A, B, C) from another state will not have to take the written or skills test with the exception of Hazardous Materials (HazMat). They are required to pass the Hazardous Materials (HazMat) knowledge test prior to issuance. Out of State test scores are provided through CSTIMS. The driver must have a Commercial Learner's Permit issued from the same state as the underlying driver's license.

If you have never had a verifiable hazardous materials endorsement before, and you want the endorsement, you will be required to take ELDT training before you can take the written test.  Contact a hazmat training provider for training before attempting to take the hazmat test as well as having a security threat assessment prior to the issuance of a hazmat endorsement as listed in the new CDL section.

Hazmat Security

A security threat assessment became a requirement for renewal/transfer of any hazmat endorsement. If the applicant's security threat assessment was completed within the most recent 6 months, no new assessment will be required; however, this information must be verified through the PDPS/CDL Help Desk. If more than 6 months has lapsed since the last security threat assessment, the applicant will be required to apply for a new assessment