All new vehicles must be titled with OMV. To title a new vehicle, the following items must be mailed or delivered to the OMV Headquarters or may be processed in an OMV office or at a Public Tag Agent location:
- A completed vehicle application form (DPSMV 1799)
- Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) - this is a secure document created by the vehicle manufacturer. The MSO must be assigned from the dealer to the buyer and must be notarized if the transfer of ownership occurred in a state that requires notarization.
- Original itemized invoice from dealer to the purchaser, showing complete description (make, year, model, and vehicle identification number) of the vehicle sold, vehicle traded-in (if any), and the dealer’s current permit number.
- If either the invoice or statement of origin is notarized, the file will be acceptable; however, the invoice must be notarized if a tax credit or a trade vehicle is shown.
- Exception: if the transfer of ownership occurred in a state that does not require notarization, notarization will not be required on the invoice or the MSO.
- Properly completed and signed odometer disclosure statement
- Original or copy of properly completed UCC-1 form (financing statement), or other security agreement, if a lien is to be recorded. This can be obtained from the dealer or other entity where financing was secured.
- Payment for applicable fees (see "Fees" on this page).
If you wish to obtain a license plate, in addition to the items above, the following must be included:
- A copy of each vehicle owner’s current and valid photo identification (driver’s license or identification card issued by this state or another state)
- Proof of liability insurance coverage (unless the vehicle transfer is being submitted by a licensed vehicle dealer).
Fees necessary for issuance of a new vehicle title and registration:
- $68.50 title fee
- $15.00 lien recordation fee for UCC-1 financing statements or $10.00 lien recordation fee for other security agreement documents, if applicable.
- $8.00 handling fee
- $6.00 local fee (may apply and will not exceed $6)
- License plate fee based on type/weight/selling price of vehicle.
- Sales use tax will be based on the domicile of vehicle and will be assessed on the sales prices of the vehicle minus any qualifying trade vehicle and rebate. Click here to view the Parish Tax Table.