Phone: (225) 925-6146

Statement of Non-Use

You may notify the Office of Motor Vehicles when you will not be using your vehicle on any road or highways and wish to cancel the liability insurance. The non-use filing will prevent you from receiving an insurance cancellation notice for the period the non-use is in effect. You are not required to turn your plate into OMV for the period that the non-use is in effect. Your vehicle record will immediately be updated to indicate that the vehicle will not be in use. The beginning date of non-use will be the date your statement is submitted through this transaction. The ending date of non-use will be specified by you when completing the transaction.

In order to submit the Vehicle Statement of Not Use, the following information is needed. This information can be found on your vehicle registration certificate.

  • License plate number
  • Registration expiration date
  • Vehicle identification number
  • Model year

Non-use filings can be submitted online, by mail or in person at your local OMV location.



This statement must be submitted to the Office of Motor Vehicles prior to the termination date of the liability insurance policy.

This statement cannot be used as compliance to clear a cancellation of liability insurance.