Phone: (225) 925-6146

Notice of Vehicle Transfer

You may notify the Office of Motor Vehicles when you sell, donate or trade your vehicle. Notification may be made through the Notice of Vehicle Transfer online service. Your OMV record will be immediately flagged indicating the disposition of the vehicle. Vehicle ownership will not be legally transferred until the new owner makes application for title.

To report your vehicle as sold, donated, or traded, have the following information ready:

  • License plate number
  • Expiration date (as shown on vehicle's registration)
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Driver's license number or company EIN (as shown on vehicle's registration)
  • Name and address of buyer
  • Date sold, donated, or traded
  • Selling price of the vehicle (if applicable)