Requirements to Transfer a Driver's License
- One primary document
- Social Security Number (must be collected on all drivers' licenses issued in this state)
- Proof of residency
- Photo license from the last state of issuance (or official driving record from the last licensing state listing the applicant's personal information and driver's license number if applicant doesn't have a photo license.)
A driver's license must be transferred from the state of the previous domicile to Louisiana within 30 days of establishing a domicile in this state.The out-of-state license must be surrendered and destroyed when the Louisiana license is issued.
All documents must have the same name. If the names are different, other than by marriage, the application will be denied until the supporting documents have been changed to reflect the name change. If the out-of-state license already shows the married name of the applicant, a marriage license/certificate is not required.All documents submitted must be original or certified copy.
To obtain a Real ID driver’s license, additional requirements must be submitted. For more information, go to the Real ID page on the site.
Additional Requirements for Minors
- The signature of the custodial parent or legal guardian is required for the issuance of a driver's license.
- Identification must be presented by the minor and the parent or guardian.
- Only the domiciliary parent may sign if joint custody has been awarded.
- Custody documents must be presented.
All applicants must meet visual and medical requirements. The vision test will be administered for all driver's license transactions.
- Persons transferring valid, non-commercial, out-of-state licenses (as exemplified in Louisiana's Class E and D) will NOT be required to take any examination other than the vision test.
- If the transferee surrenders an out-of-state license that is equivalent to the Louisiana Class E and wishes to convert to a Louisiana Class D, no driving examination will be required; however, he must pass the written examination.
- A person transferring a valid out-of-state learner’s permit equivalent to Class E, regardless of age, shall be issued a Louisiana learner’s permit with no written test. Proof of driver’s education is not required as the applicant is no longer considered a "first-time applicant."
Transferring an Out-of-Country Driver's License
Immigration documents must be verified by the Office of Motor Vehicles for status prior to issuing a Louisiana Driver’s License or Identification Card. Visitors to the United States are not eligible for a Louisiana Driver’s License or Identification Card. All first-time applicants presenting a foreign driver's license from a country that does not have a reciprocal agreement with the Department are required to furnish proof of driver education training. If eligible, the applicant must pass the knowledge, vision, and road skills test.
First-time applicants from Germany, Switzerland, South Korea and Taiwan* (due to a reciprocal agreement with the Department), in addition to the U.S. Territories of American Samoa, Guam, Mariana Islands, Marshall Islands, Palau, Micronesia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands are exempt from the driver education training requirement, knowledge and road skills tests but are required to pass the vision test.
*Notarized translations must be authenticated by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston or provided by a translator acceptable to the Office of Motor Vehicles.