Phone: (225) 925-6146

IRP Apportioned Plates

Visit LA Trucks for more information

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a cooperative agreement among 48 states, 10 Canadian provinces, and the District of Columbia which allows a motor carrier to register a commercial vehicle for travel in all member jurisdictions by reporting activity and paying fees to the home (base) jurisdiction. IRP provides for payment of registration fees based on fleet miles traveled and vehicle characteristics. Although IRP registration fees paid to the base jurisdiction are distributed to the jurisdictions in which the fleet accrued miles, only one (1) license plate and one (1) cab card is issued for each vehicle.

Apportioned plates enable a commercial truck to travel out of state without purchasing a permit. When a registrant obtains apportioned plates, a cab card detailing the jurisdictions into which the vehicle is authorized to travel and the weight at which the vehicle can operate in each of these jurisdictions is issued. This cab card becomes the legal registration for the vehicle.

A Motor Carrier is defined in the International Registration Plan as a "person, firm, or corporation engaged in the commercial transportation of goods or persons".

An Owner/Operator is defined in the International Registration Plan as a "person, firm, or corporation leasing an apportioned vehicle with driver to a motor carrier".

Criteria for Apportioned Plates

Registration under the IRP is not mandatory. It is a program for licensing commercial trucks and buses traveling in Louisiana and at least one other jurisdiction, if:

The commercial vehicle is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property AND the vehicle is a power unit having:

  • Two axles and a gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds, OR
  • Three or more axles, regardless of weight, OR
  • A gross vehicle weight greater than 26,000 pounds in combination with a trailer

If the truck meets criteria number one and one of the criteria numbered two through four, and travels interstate in a commercial capacity, either a trip permit or an apportioned plate should be obtained.

If a vehicle has two axles and weighs less than 26,000 pounds, but engages in interstate travel, an apportioned plate may be advisable. A good rule of thumb in this situation is: "If you make more than one stop in a state while conducting business, then you should have a trip permit or be apportioned".

Payments of Invoices for Apportioned Plates

Once the application is processed, a billing notice listing the fees due may be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to you. After verifying all information shown on the billing notice, mail a copy of the billing notice and your payment to the address provided. All payments must be submitted in the form of certified funds (i.e. cash, cashier’s check, money order, certified check, ComChek). Once received by the Louisiana IRP staff, new credentials will be emailed to you, unless you request delivery via the USPS.

Renewal Dates for IRP Plates

New IRP accounts created under Staggered Registration will need to be renewed twelve months from the date the account is opened. Ex: IRP Account opened in August 2018 will expire in July 2019. Note: For July – May expiration date will be reused. June is not an expiration month in IRP staggered registration for Louisiana.

Account Opened Expiration Month
January December
February January
March February
April March
May April
June May
July May
August July
September August
October September
November December
December January


Determining Your Base Jurisdiction

An Applicant may elect as its Base Jurisdiction any Member Jurisdiction:

  • Where the Applicant has an Established Place of Business,
  • Where the Fleet the Applicant seeks to register under the Plan accrues distance
  • Where Records of the Fleet are maintained or can be made available.

An Applicant that does not have an Established Place of Business in any Jurisdiction may designate as a Base Jurisdiction any Member Jurisdiction:

  • Where the Applicant can demonstrate Residence.
  • Where the Fleet the Applicant seeks to register under the Plan accrues distance.
  • Where Records of the Fleet are maintained or can be made available.

To establish Residence in a Member Jurisdiction, an Applicant must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Member Jurisdiction at least three of the following:

  • The Applicant is an individual, in which his or her driver’s license is issued by that Jurisdiction.
  • The Applicant is a corporation, that it is incorporated or registered to conduct business as a foreign corporation in that Jurisdiction.
  • If the Applicant is a corporation, that the principal owner is a resident of that Jurisdiction.
  • The Applicant’s federal income tax returns have been filed from an address in that Jurisdiction.
  • The Applicant has paid personal income taxes to that Jurisdiction.
  • The Applicant has paid real estate or personal property taxes to that Jurisdiction.
  • The Applicant receives utility bills in that Jurisdiction in its name.
  • Any other factors that clearly provide evidence of the Applicant’s legal Residence in that Jurisdiction.
An "established place of business" means a physical structure located in the base jurisdiction that is owned or leased by the applicant or registrant and whose street address shall be specified by the applicant of registrant. This physical structure shall be open for business and be staffed during regular business hours by one or more persons employed by the applicant or registrant on a permanent basis (i.e., not an independent contractor) for the purpose of the general management of the applicant’s or registrant’s trucking-related business (i.e., not limited to credentialing, distance and fuel reporting, and answering telephone inquiries). The Applicant or Registrant need not have land line telephone service at the physical structure. Records concerning the Fleet shall be maintained at this physical structure (unless such records are to be made available in accordance with the provisions of Section 1035). The Base Jurisdiction may accept information it deems pertinent to verify that an Applicant or Registrant has an Established Place of Business within the Base Jurisdiction.

U.S. DOT Number Required

As a PRISM state, Louisiana requires all holders of apportioned plates to be associated with a U.S. DOT number. The barcode on each cab card contains the U.S. DOT number associated with either the motor carrier responsible for safety or the registrant.

Owner operators without operating authority, who purchase their own plates, need a registrant U.S. DOT number. A registrant U.S. DOT number is for vehicle registration purposes only and does not provide the owner/operator with any kind of operating authority. The registrant U.S. DOT number should not, under any circumstances, be displayed on the vehicle. An owner operator (lessor) must provide the U.S. DOT number for the motor carrier (lessee), who is responsible for the safety information. If the motor carrier responsible for safety has filed updated MCS-150 data within the prescribed twelve-month period, only the U.S. DOT number and FEIN of the motor carrier must be provided. Otherwise, a current copy of the MCS-150 for the owner operator and motor carrier must be filed.

New Applicants must register for a DOT number online at If any technical issues occur, call the FMCSA Support Telephone Number: 1-800-832-5660. Motor carriers who have not obtained a U.S. DOT number must complete MCS-150 and MCS-150A forms to apply for a U.S. DOT number. The IRP Unit will assist carriers in obtaining a U.S. DOT number or carriers may contact the U.S. Department of Transportation for assistance. A Motor Carrier is required to have a U.S. DOT Number prior to operation.

The MCS-150 form must be updated bi-annually. This form can be updated at To update the form, click on “FMCSA Registration & Updates” and follow the instructions. A MCS-150 will be included in the IRP Renewal Packet. The updated form should be returned with the completed renewal packet.

Hazardous Materials Transportation

Motor carriers who transport certain hazardous materials in interstate, intrastate, and foreign commerce are required by FMCSA to have a HM Safety Permit. A list of the hazardous materials requiring a HM Safety Permit is available online at the FMCSA website: in the "FMCSA Registration & Updates" section.

Carriers transporting hazardous materials of the type and quantity requiring a permit must file a MCS-150B with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. A statement that a form MCS-150B has been filed must be submitted with your apportioned renewal application, if this form is required. Form MCS-150B is filed in lieu of submitting the MCS-150 data. The MCS-150B form is available on the FMCSA website: in the "FMCSA Registration & Updates'' section. If the carrier does not have internet access, Forms MCS-150 and MCS-150B can be obtained from the FMCSA. Our local FMCSA Service Center is:
5304 Flanders Drive
Suite A
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Phone: 225-757-7640
Fax: 225-757-7636


When establishing an apportioned account, you will need to make sure you have everything required on the IRP New Account Checklist:


An apportioned account or supplement can be processed at any of these offices: