Save Time - Book an Appointment Online

Non-Domiciled CLP and CDL

Non-Domiciled CLP and CDL

  • A CLP and CDL issued to an individual domiciled in a foreign jurisdiction, meeting the requirements of FMCR 383.23(b)(1)


  • Applicants must meet CLP requirements outlined in Section 1, Policy 1.01 Commercial Learner’s Permit, to be eligible for a Louisiana-issued CDL.
  • Applicants domiciled in Canada and Mexico are ineligible for a Louisiana-issued non-domicile CLP and CDL, “because the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has determined that commercial licenses issued by Canadian provinces and territories and the United Mexican States are in accordance with the standards established by the FMCSA rules.”


  • The applicant may only acquire a non-domicile CLP and/or CDL from an Office of Motor Vehicles field office.
  • Non-domiciled CLP or CDL applicants are not eligible for a Hazardous Materials endorsement.

Required Documents:

  • Immigration Documentation – Applicants must provide an unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or an unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the US.
  • Proof of Louisiana Residency – A letter, on company letterhead, from the applicant’s employer with the applicant’s name and address of the accommodations provided by the employer.
  • The applicant shall provide proof of identification, as outlined in Section 1, Policy 6.00, Identification Requirements.
  • Social Security Number – Applicants must provide their assigned Social Security number for issuance of a CLP or CDL. Refer to Section 1, Policy 41.00, Social Security Verification for more information.
  • Medical Examiner’s Certificate – Applicants must provide a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate signed and dated by a medical professional indicating they are able to operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)