Adult Driver Education

Education Requirements for Adults

You must complete a driver education or pre-licensing course if you have never been issued a driver’s license. These courses are offered by driver education providers who are licensed by the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles. The courses offered include:

  1. 30 hours classroom instruction and 8 hours behind-the-wheel instruction; OR
  2. 6 hours pre-licensing classroom instruction and 8 hours behind-the-wheel instruction

Effective 09/04/2018, the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles implemented the Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP). All students enrolled in driver education will be required to obtain the TIP prior to the administration of the knowledge test, operation of a motor vehicle during on-road driving skills instruction or an on-road driving skills test. In addition, the student must have the TIP in their possession when operating a motor vehicle during the behind the wheel portion of instruction and during the administration of a road skills test.

Upon completion of driver’s education, the TIP will be surrendered to OMV along with proof of completion of the driver’s education course and any other necessary documents. There is no additional cost to convert from the TIP to a full license.


All required testing must be completed before the issuance of a license. The knowledge and skills tests are administered by the driver education provider or the OMV. Study guides are available on the web.

If the applicant does not have a good understanding of the written English language they may bring a translator to assist with any class knowledge (written) tests except CDL.

Learner's Permit

You must have 20/40 vision in one eye and must successfully pass a vision test. You must also pass a 40 question test with a minimum score of 80%.

Full License

Must pass vision, knowledge and skills tests.


  • One primary document such as a certified birth certificate, Louisiana ID card, current passport, or current military ID
  • Verification of your Social Security Number is required. This can be your Social Security Card, W2 form, or a print out from the Social Security Administration verifying the number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, a letter from the Social Security Administration must be present. The number may also be given verbally.
  • One additional form of identification such as a photo work ID, high school diploma, insurance card, etc.
  • Certificate of Successful Completion of the driver education class attended.
  • Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)